Red Kite Criterium / Sea Otter Road Race

Posted by on 4/26/2017

Red Kite Criterium

2/3 Race


Williams Riders:  Sam Hill, Bob Terra, Timmy Bauer

A great day for the team.   Fireworks, explosions, race blowing apart, aggressive racing and domination by the Williams team!!!

The quick story.   Sam attacks the field with three riders, Bobby bridges up to make five riders.   They lap the field.  Sam attacks again, Sam stays away for awhile then comes back to the peloton, Bobby attacks, Timmy protects.   The peloton was blowing apart.   This was non stop aggressive riding from the boys.   An awesome display.

The finish:  Pack sprint with five riders who have lapped the field.   Sam wins the sprint, Bobby takes second, Timmy rolls in a few spots behind.   Williams goes one and two.   The the ripe old age of 20, Bobby earns enough points to become a Cat One racer!  Well done kid.

Attached is a picture of Sam posting up.  Angle of shot from Bob's gopro.

Red Kite Criterium

Women's 3/4 Race


Williams Riders:  Kristen Hill

Kristen doing what Kristen does.   Go BIG.    Kristen raced very aggressive attacking both early and late in the race.   The peloton reeled her in at the end. Hats off to her willingness to get after it and make a race happen.

Sea Otter Road Race

Pro 1/2


50+ racers

11 Continental pros

1 World Tour Pro

80 miles and over 7,000 ft. of climbing

Williams Rider:  Timmy Bauer


The family headed down to Sea Otter Classic Pro Road Race Friday morning.  My wife and daughter (known as the bug) were my support team in the feed zone.   I was flying solo as no other Williams racer made the trip down to beautiful Monterey.  


The Sea Otter road race attracts some stiff competition.   Ten UCI Continental Pros & one World Tour Pro lined up with another 40 top Cat 1/2 racers from the west coast.  


The Sea Otter road race is a circuit course that includes 9 hilly laps and one long final steep climb to the finish line.   This year, Sea Otter added the famous “wall” climb to each lap.   You might ask what the heck is the wall? Well it is a climb on the course that hits over 25% gradient and is around a mile long, and we were to ascend it 9 times during the race.  I was stoked and ready to rip. 

We started off on the Laguna Seca Raceway track with a neutral roll out.    The first time up the wall was brutal, but I really enjoy that type of racing so I was excited for the challenge to come. The first lap was fast and full of attacks but nothing sticking.  I was keeping myself protected from the wind drafting off other big teams around me.


We started the second lap and things were going well….until we hit the wall.  At the wall, one of the team Pro Illuminate racers attacked. This started a flurry of counter attacks which really sucked as I was put to my limit. The paced slowed after all the attacks which gave me time to eat and drink as I knew this was going to be a long day in the saddle.


Lap three started, I was feeling great and was tempted to attack when we got to the wall.  At the base of the wall, I was right behind Cannondale World Tour Pro Talansky when the attacks started.  I went to follow the moves when my bike miss-shifted leaving my chain wedged in between my frame and crankset. It was wedged in there so well I had to wait for a neutral support vehicle to arrive and with assistance. This was the worst time possible for a mechanical. A mechanical at the bottom of the biggest climb of the day at exactly when attacks started....AHHGG!     I went as hard as I could to catch the peloton.  Two miles later and a whole new world of suffering, I was back with the peloton.   I positioned toward the front and got a bottle in the feed and continued to hydrate and fuel my body. The group was whittling down quickly as we were down to say 35 racers. A three man break went up the road which caused a bit of concern from the peloton.   Let’s just say the speed went up a couple notches.   On lap four the pace dropped dramatically even though the break was still up the road.   The correct teams must have been represented in the break so things started to slow….so I thought.  


The lead moto official updated us regarding how much time the break had on the peloton.   5 minutes!!    The peloton went crazy with attacks as we entered lap five.   I was suffering just to stay in the peloton. The wind had increased as the afternoon ocean breeze swept over the course.  I was really in the hurt locker when Talansky and two other pros decided it was time to blow the race apart.   I completely imploded but kept on fighting.   A mile farther I was finally spit out the back of what was left of the peloton.   Starting lap six, I pulled the plug and let the officials know I was pulling out and headed to the car


I ended up 31st.   I was happy with my performance.  Picture attached


Thank you for your support! Timmy Bauer

Copperopolis Road Race

Posted by on 4/19/2017

Copperopolis Road Race

Pro 1/2
68 Racers 
Williams Team: Timmy Bauer, Matt Tufts, Kevin Tufts, Josh Carling

Copperopolis is my favorite road race of the year. The race starts outside the small town of Milton, California.   Copperopolis road race is known for the worst roads & the hardest climbs and descents on the NCNCA calendar. This year 68 of California's best climbers lined up including Andrew Talansky, a world tour pro rider for Cannondale Drapac. For those of you that done live and breathe cycling, a quick background on Andrew. He has raced 8 Grand Tours Finished in the Top 10 at the Tour De France (2013) & last year was 5th overall in the Vuelta a Espana. He is one of the best if not the best USA grand tour rider today.   Put Andrew in our field and 6+ of California's best P1/2 teams with 7 to 8 guys all working for their leader it was going to be Gnarly.

It was a brisk morning temps around 37 degrees when Josh & I arrived with our support team (my wife and daughter). We got kitted up and were ready to go! Josh & I pre-rode the course the week before.   This course is so brutal that pre-riding is a big advantage. This year the county decided to patch some holes with some nasty, horrible, chip and seal patches. This left the whole course covered in little Pea size pebbles. These pebbles, when racing with 68 other guys, turned into little BB’s hitting you all over your body & face. Not only were there rocks flying everywhere but the patches were rougher than the holes. Plain and simple, the roads are horrible.   The race include 5 laps totaling 108 miles and just over 9,000 ft of climbing. Copperopolis is one of the hardest road races in the country.

The race started off fast.   We hit the feed zone at mile 2.   The feed zone is a short climb that leads into a larger 3.2 mile climb.   I had Josh & the Tuffs brothers around me as we entered the feed zone.   I moved up a bit to avoid so much roost and got right on Talansky’s rear wheel. After the feed climb we started the main climb. Right away, Talansky was to the front driving the pace. We were flying and around half way up the climb, the peloton was already dropping riders.  I rode smart & stayed seated to insure energy savings. The pace dropped a bit after the climb and Josh was able to get back up to me. He let me know that after the Tufts brothers had been popped off the back and that the race was blowing up after only seven miles of racing.   It was obvious that Talansky’s goal was to ride the pack into the ground and thin out the race. Josh and I rode smart, saved energy when we could and stayed together as a team.  We reached the main descent after another short difficult climb.  The rocks were flying up in our faces. I had a big rock hit me on the tooth. I was so glad to roll off the front with Josh at that point.  We were not attacking, just trying to get away from the flying rocks.

Lap two was fast on the main climb. I felt real good, and rode in the top 15 spots saving as much energy as possible.   A solo rider from Marc Pro attacked on the big climb.  That rider dangled off the front as we crested the main climb.  Luckily the pace dropped a bit in the cross wind section by the lake.   Josh came up to me and made sure I was feeling good.  We reached the smaller climb before the main descent when Talansky attacked.   I was right behind him and able to follow him. This shook the group up majorly and dropped quite a few riders including Josh.  I was on my own from there with 3 full laps to go. I got a bottle in the feed zone and ate some more before ascending the main climb for the 3rd time. I again was strong and feeling good.  Towards the top, got in a bit of a bumping match with a fellow rider but nothing to crazy. I was finding that I was riding behind or next to Talansky a lot which told me my positioning was good. The main group was down to maybe 20 riders at this point.   They were the best 20 climbers in the race, and I was still there!

The pace was a bit slower this lap.   Starting the main descent, I was in the top 5 and moved forward a bit to avoid the roost and rocks.  I led the decent in my aero tuck and was able to pick my own line and save energy by staying aerodynamic. Talansky decided to follow and were together down the whole descent.   It was awesome, so cool!  At the bottom of the descent, he mentioned he liked my gloves I told him about how my daughter made them for me.  We discussed a few other things over next few miles.  Coming to the feed zone on lap 4, there were 15 of us with 3 riders up the road as two attacked right before the feed zone. I got a bottle and put my head down on the climb. I was starting to hurt badly but was determined to stay in this select front group of 10 to 15 riders. By the top I was so gassed but I was still there!

We hit the cross winds at the top and the remaining riders started throwing hey maker attacks at each other.   I was stuck on the back totally guttered with no draft at all.   I lost contact with what was left of the main field at 20 miles to go. I was so close!!!! I continued to push on solo with one lap to go.   The Tufts brothers were there cheering me on as I was still top 20 overall. I reached the feed zone, grabbed a bottle and kept pushing.   At this point every part of my body was hurting I could not stand on the pedals as it was seated riding from here on out.  I was exhausted but made it to the top of the climb where I saw a rider in the distance. I kept pushing and reached him at the last climb of the day.    I dropped him on the decent as I knew we were battling for top 20 in the race.  

I reached the finish line after 5 hours 22 minutes and 45 seconds burning close to 6,000 calories, and was covered head to toe in asphalt chucks and dirt (see picture). I finished my first ever Pro 1/2 Copperopolis road race in 18th overall and was also the 4th place Category 2 rider.  I earned some valuable upgrade points as well!

This race was coolest, hardest race I have ever done.   Some say against the hardest field that has lined up here in years. To me, this is my best performance all year.   My teammates did everything possible to help me.   I am so thankful to them.   I know next year I can be top 10 if not top five.

Thank you to all my supporters and sponsors I can’t wait for my next race and to race this race again next year!

Thanks Timmy Bauer

Sequoia Cycling Classic

Posted by on 4/4/2017

Sequoia Cycling Classic
Visalia, CA
P/1/2  Criterium  $3,000 Purse
Team:  Josh Carling, Bob Terra, Timmy Bauer

I must admit, I wanted to get one of our riders on the Podium.  I wanted to prove that teamwork and sacrifice is more powerful than numbers.   Three team riders committed to each other can outperform a team of ten riders who are focused on individual success. 

The race.  The Sequoia Cycling Classic race is a fast, six corner criterium located in downtown Visalia.   Visalia is a great location for a SoCal vs NorCal showdown.   Bring some of the fastest crit riders from both districts, add $3,000 and you are sure to see some fireworks.  The venue was fantastic.   The promoters built a great course, created a great vibe with food expo, vendor expo and of course, a beer garden. 

Last week, I contacted the race promoter.   I wanted to do the race and he wanted us there.  He offered free booth space in exchange for bringing down a team.   After agreeing to the deal, we put our rider list together and headed south.   Josh, Bob and Timmy were on board. Kevin and Matt Tufts had previous engagements and Sam and Kristen were up training in Woodland.   Bob and I drove down Saturday night while Timmy and Josh drove up Sunday morning. 

The Plan.   BE FLEXIBLE.   Allow the race to develop and be fluid with our strategy.   Bob’s job was to follow any dangerous moves, get in breaks and take pressure off our team.  If a break went away with Bob in it, we felt confident Bob could win the race out of the break.    Timmy was there to support Josh.  Josh was there to win!

The race.   It was fast!   The first part of the race was controlled with no real moves  or dangerous attacks.   I believe riders did not want to show their hand too early because too much money was at stake for 75 minutes’ worth of racing.   Around 25 minutes into the race, the attacks started with hopes of building the correct combination of riders represented in the break.  If the right combo went away, the peloton would let them go.   Bob was very attentive covering virtually every important move.   While Bob was up the road, Josh sat near the front in position to join a counter move.  I was hoping a second move would go with Josh attached.  This would have given us both Josh and Bobby up the road with Timmy waiting.   It did not happen.   Eventually, all breaks came back.

With around five laps to go, Bob came back to the peloton after being off the front.  As he positioned back into the peloton, there was a crash.   Bob was caught behind the crash which ended his day.  

This is when the race became a blur.    As I recall, four riders slipped off the front and gained 10 seconds on the group.   The peloton struggled to pull them back.   The attacks came fast and furious.   It was hard to control the race at this point.  Personally, I did not think we would bring back to break.  But, as things happen in bike racing, the break played a bit of cat and mouse, slowed and ultimately was swallowed by the peloton on the last lap

As crazy as the last few laps were, the race played right into our hands.  With less than one lap to go, the peloton was together and Josh was fresh for the sprint.   The who’s who of NorCal and SoCal sprinters controlled the front going into the last turn.  Josh was in great position.    The last corner setup to be very fast and sketchy.  Pushing through and bumping elbows in the last corner caused Josh to a scrub some speed and he had to re-accelerate to the line.   In the end, Josh came across in third with Timmy further back.  

Third place was a huge success for the team but bittersweet for Josh.   Josh is a warrior and wanted the win!   However, that’s bike racing and third place is pretty darn good for our small program!  

We proved that we belong and can race with the very best teams on the west coast.   I can’t say enough about our wonderful athletes, their supportive families and our sponsors.   There is no question that our success has been a result of teamwork.  Teamwork is the core to racing success and this team proves it week in and week out.  Pics attached.


Browse By Category